Arancia Rossa di Sicilia (Red Oranges of Sicily)



I am totally crazy for red oranges which I refuse to call blood orange. This is just a bad name. I call them simply red oranges because that's how they are called in Italy, where they come from. The color of those beauties are they high point of attraction, at least to me. I just can't resist them. Their flavor reminds me of laranja pera another species of oranges, typical of the State in Brazil where I grew up.

Most of the red oranges I find here in Norway are Tarocco species, from Sicily. It is also quite easy to find them organic in some of the best food stores in town. It is now also quite common to find some of the Spanish red oranges around the shops. I prefer the Italian ones not only because they are much sweeter but because they have the perfect shade of red. The Spanish are not as sweet and they are so dark that looks a little bit scary orange.



Besides having the highest vitamin C content among all the oranges produced in the World, Arancia Rossa di Sicilia (Red oranges of Sicily) have protected geographical status and are just the perfect red orange for desserts, salads and juices. The more sour ones are more suitable for marmelades and marinades.



I love to make red orange gelatin with freshly squeezed red orange juice or salad with organic black Greek Kalamata olives and some fresh organic oregano leaves. Simple taste better. Next post I will come with the red orange gelatin recipe. Tell me more about simple recipes...

Comentários

Eric disse…
Here in USA the Tropicana company has just recently introduced Trop 50 Red Orange Juice.

I love it and I hope many will ask for it in stores not yet having it. ( at least enough to maintain its availability.

The bottle I found was pulp free but I prefer lots of pulp.

Their other orange comes in both pulp and pulp free. I will be asking the store here on Cape Cod to stock the pulp red orange juice.

Postagens mais visitadas