This mother's wish: Plum cake



I was circulating and I saw this beautiful cake. I was surprise to see that the recipe was identical to a 'cuca' my mother used to bake back home. My mother's 'cuca' was mostly baked with bananas and apples. As I had some beautiful and sweet South African plums I decided to give them a try and used my mother recipe to clone the beautiful cake.

'Cuca' are fruit cakes typical of South Brazil and my mother's recipe is a very easy version of 'cuca'.



Plum 'cuca'

6 ripe plums vertically sliced
2 eggs at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons melted butter or if you prefer you can use sunflower oil
1 cup of boiling water



Hoe:

Heat oven at 180C/325F. Butter a small square cake pan. Beat eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat a little more. Mix flour and baking powder. Add one cup of flour mixture and mix well to incorporate. Add melted butter and mix well to incorporate. Add second cup flour mixture and keep mixing until all is well incorporated. Finally add boiling water carefully and slowly. Mixing to feel the batter. You want a not so liquide batter so eventually you won't need to use the whole cup of water. Transfer dough to buttered pan.

Distribute plum slices on the batter and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes at a 180C/325F.

Makes 12 to 16 squares



Obs. I was influenced by the beautiful looks of this cake and didn't used as many plums as I should. The final result was demanding more plums.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas