Two Flavors Cake Roll: Mezzo Guava Jam, Mezzo Milk Jam



Cake rolls are simple, the ultimate grandmother dessert, eaten all over the world. Cake rolls kind of incorporate the spirit of the old times, it is all times classic dessert. In Brazil cake rolls are very, very popular. They are adored for both its simplicity and its variety of fillings. The charm of this cake is the filling, which is the soul of the roll. The creamiest the best.




In Rio de Janeiro, where I grew up, the classic flavor was/is guava jam, the fruit found in every neighborhood of the city, in almost every garden or every back yard. It is the most common back yard tree. According to myself guavas win mangoes, avocados, jabuticabas, amoras and pitangas, as the ultimate backyard tree of Rio.

The fillings can be as diverse as egg cream, banana jam, fig jam, coconut jam, chocolate cream, chocolate, honey, egg and coconut cream and milk jam i.e. milk slowly cooked with sugar until it is thick and caramelized. Milk jam has always been the favorite of my brothers and for that reason the only type my mother used to make. However, the cake rolls were everywhere and thank you to my grandmothers, neighbors, friends' mothers, aunts and strangers, I could enjoy different fillings such as guava jam, my favorite.



My predominantly Norwegian family does not go crazy with guavas or guava jam and for their sake I also use milk jam in cake rolls. The innovation here is that I made one cake roll with two different fillings to please both sides of my family. They go for milk jam, I go for guava jam on my own (well, my husband always eat guava stuff to please me, I believe). Two fillings cake roll, definitely not a lot of innovation I know.



Two Fillings Cake Roll

Cake:
6 eggs
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Fillings
200 grams guava jam or any other jam to please you
300 grams milk jam (slow cooked milk and sugar until caramelized and thick)



Separate egg yolks from whites. Whisk egg white with pinch of salt until hard peaks form. Beat yolks with sugar until the volume is tripled. Mix yolks with egg whites until incorporated. Add flour and mix using a spoon, or fouet and finally add the finally. Bake in a medium-large rectangular baking pan for 20 minutes at 180 C/300 F.




Remove the cake from oven and let it cool slightly before removing it from the pan. Sprinkle sugar over a clean and humid kitchen towel and put the cake over the sugar. Spread each filling over half side of the cake and roll it carefully with the towel . After the cake is rolled let it stand rolled with the towel for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle some confectioners sugar over it before cutting the roll in half to get two different rolls.

Serve room temperature.



(Guava jam filling cake roll)


(Milk jam filling cake roll)

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas